9 Fools make a mock at sin: but among the righteous there is favour.
Watch almost any program on television today, and it is easy to see a stark difference from the 1950’s and 1960’s.
Programs from the ’50’s and ’60’s promoted good morals, honesty, and integrity. There was rarely a dirty word uttered, married couples had separate beds (let alone hearing about people who were not married having sex), bad guys usually had some sense of decency, and a “wild-child” was considered a black sheep. Liars were corrected. Selfish people were left to their own devices. Yet, forgiveness was promoted and self-control taught.
Look at today:
- It is getting increasingly harder to find shows without foul language, and that language is getting worse and more prevalent all the time.
- Marriage is often portrayed as old-fashioned or as more of a chore than a blessing. Divorce is celebrated. Sleeping around is celebrated. Independence is often valued more highly than cooperation and commitment to a significant other.
- Bad guys are not only more ruthless and vile, but many times they are also celebrated as an anti-hero.
- Partying, promiscuity, binge-drinking, drug use, immaturity, rudeness, and all manner of nastiness to ourselves and others is promoted as a fun and viable alternative to boredom and the status quo.
- Holding grudges and doing what you want is taught as healthy, with just a pinch of forgiveness when it suits us.
The Bible warned us two thousand years ago in 2 Timothy 3 that this is exactly what would happen. Society on the global scale would by and large leave God behind, all of His precepts and promises, and do and promote everything they wanted.
You must ask yourself which path you will follow: The path the world is taking that walks away from God and promotes the self, or the path few choose which is walking with God? (See Matthew 7:13-23)
The path the world takes leads straight to destruction (v. 13), and it is led by many who profess to be Christian or simply “good people” but will also be destroyed (vv. 15-23).
Only those who follow Truth, who choose the narrow path, enter eternal life (v. 14). Only those will find favor with God.
Choose life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)
Gracious God, thank You for loving us so much that You came to die on the cross to forgive us of our love of sin over You. Help us to choose You over our sinful selfishness. Help us enjoy You, and to love those who choose sin.